“The Endangered Archives Programme captures forgotten and still not written histories, often suppressed or marginalised. It gives voice to the voiceless: it opens a dialogue with global humanity’s multiple pasts. It is a library of history still waiting to be written.”
Lisbet Rausing, Co-founder of the Endangered Archives Programme
The Endangered Archives Programme (EAP) facilitates the digitisation of archives around the world that are in danger of destruction, neglect or physical deterioration. Thanks to generous funding from Arcadia, a charitable fund of Lisbet Rausing and Peter Baldwin, we have provided grants to more than 400 projects in 90 countries worldwide, in over 100 languages and scripts.
Since 2004, the Programme has digitised over eight million images and 25,000 sound tracks. Archive types digitised so far include rare printed sources, manuscripts, visual materials, audio recordings. This continually expanding online collection is available freely through local archival partners, this website and it is discoverable via the British Library catalogue, for research, inspiration and enjoyment.
You can explore our archives in three ways: browse using the tab above; type a keyword or keywords into the search box above, or click on the interactive map below.
- EXPLORE THE ARCHIVES takes you directly to the online collections. Here you will find a wealth of material covering a huge range of subject matter from all over the world
- ABOUT THE PROGRAMME provides an overview of the Programme and our principles
- The GRANTS section provides all the information you need if you would like to apply for a grant in our annual award cycle, or if you are a current award holder
- The extensive RESOURCES AND TRAINING section covers our publications, podcasts, webinars, other sources of funding and a wealth of practical advice on preservation and digitisation and the many aspects of digitising endangered cultural heritage
- CONTACT us to ask us a question or to share stories of how you have used or been inspired by the collections.
- Sign-up to our NEWSLETTER to receive news and updates from us.