The paper of the body text is European handmade paper with a filigree "heraldic eagle" (not found in the reference books), this type of filigree occurs in Russian manuscripts of the 2nd half of the 17th century) [ref.: Дианова Т.В. Филиграни XVII в. По рукописным источникам ГИМ. М., 1988. № 1014-1019]; space between chain lines – 22 mm, 11 laid lines within 10 mm. The paper used for recovering lost fragments and adding new texts – Russian machine-made paper without labels, mid 20th century. Writing style: half-uncial script.
Cyrillic numeric pagination (reader’s). Decoration: headings and initials of the 2nd half of the 17th century with vermillion; text of the 1960s – red inks; headpieces with floral and astronomic ornament (f. 5), heading is in decorative writing [vyaz] (f. 13); initials with floral and geometric ornament (f. 8-9, 13, 22, 40, 51, 70, 86, 115, 137, 303, 307-311, 325, 330, 332, 333, 343); end-piece is in the so-called style Playing Text [игра текстом] – triangle-shaped objects (f. 41, 52, 70, 100, 107, 114, 137, 142, 159, 169, 184, 208, 215, 232, 249, 250, 275).
Canonnik is a type of liturgical books used for private (home or cell) religious services and containing Orthodox church services, chants and prayers. It is popular with old believers who don’t have ordained priests. The manuscript doesn’t have a beginning and an ending. It includes the cell prayer rule, Sunday Midnight Office [полунощница воскресная], Canons and Troparions to the Trinity, Jesus Christ, the Mother of God, Saint John the Forerunner, Christian festivals, ceremonies and Saints (predominantly to Russian Saints). Cover: 1960s, corrugated board, textile. Owner’s and readers’notes. 2nd half of the 17th century (with restoration of the text in 1960s). 4º, size of book blocks and binding –190 mm x170 mm, cover height – 90 mm; 344 folios = f. 1-5 (restoration) + 6-118 + 119 (restoration) + 120-184 + 185 (restoration) + 186-188 + 189 (restoration) + 190-296 + 297 (restoration) + 298-344; Condition: unsatisfactory.
The manuscript was acquired by the community of Old believers-pilgrims living in the Tomsk-Chulym taiga. The manuscript had been restored twice before TSU SL acquired it: in the early 20th century (margins of folios were restored; restoration place is unknown); on or after the 1960s – the Taiga Skit of the Old Believers–Pilgrims.