This section contains the guidance documents, templates and forms required by grant holders and their project teams to assist with digitisation and cataloguing. The documentation for reporting on the progress of the project and requesting further grant payments are to be found here.
- Digitisation guidelines
- Cataloguing guidelines and templates
- Submitting your material
- Resources and guides
Documentation and guidance for digitisation.
- Guidelines for photographing and scanning archival material 2017 (PDF)
- Sample image feedback form (PDF)
- EAP guidelines for audio preservation (PDF)
- Remote Capture (PDF; EPUB; MOBI; XML)
Tips for Digitising Books
Examples of Digitisation Studio setups
Things to Consider Before Digitisation
Documentation and guidance for metadata creation.
- Preliminary metadata questionnaire (DOCX)
- Cataloguing Guidelines (PDF)
- Cataloguing template (XLSM) for reference only
- Cataloguing template for sound and video recordings (XLSX)
- Example of a completed template for a sound project (XSLX)
- Guidelines for producing surveys (PDF)
Guide to the EAP Cataloguing Template
The final digitised material should be saved on one or more external hard drives and sent to the EAP office postal address. Sample images and metadata can be sent electronically. We normally recommend using a service such as WeTransfer as these file sizes will normally be too large to send via email.
Hard drives for PCs and Macs are not necessarily interchangeable. Researchers working with Apple Mac computers will have to reformat the external hard drive they submit to the British Library as exFAT or FAT32. This makes them readable on both Mac and PC.
Drives submitted to the British Library should always be unpartitioned and never password protected.
It is recommended to use Bagger to securely transfer digital files to the Endangered Archives Programme. Bagger can be used to copy files to the hard drive(s) that will need to be sent to us. It will create checksums and an inventory which we can then use to validate these files upon receipt and transfer to our servers. Please read and follow the Bagger Guidance below for further instructions.
More information about managing digital files, backing up them up, creating checksums, etc. can be found in Remote Capture.