This series contains digital copies of 6 bound volumes of the monthly literary magazine al-Muqtabas, covering 71 issues from 1907-1913.
Prior to deposit with the al-Aqsa Mosque Library the issues were bound into volumes, each containing a years' publications starting with February; these volumes were donated to the Kulliyah al Salahiyah by Muhammad Kurd Ali, and the front page of each volume bears the annotation "Donation to the Kulliyah al-Salahiyah in Jerusalem from the founder of al-Muqtabas", with a date and a signature. The al-Aqsa mosque library holds volumes two to seven, but does not hold any issues for the year 1906.
al-Muqtabas ('Acquired Learning') was established by Muhammad Kurd Ali in 1906, and originally published in Cairo. In 1908 the magazine transferred to Damascus, where publication continued until 1917. The magazine subtitle reflects these changes in location: its subtitle up to 1909 was "A literary, scientific and social magazine published every Arab month in Cairo"; following the move this changed to "It investigates teaching and education, society, economics, literature, history, antiquities, language, home arrangements, books, Arab civilisation and Western civilisation.".
The original issues were published individually on paper, measuring 24 x 15 cm.